Match Page - Scoreboard
Match Page - Fixed Scoreboard
Match Centre - Preview - Current Standing A v B
Match Centre - Preview - H2H
Match Centre - Preview - Form Guide
Match Centre - Preview - Last Three Meetings
Season so far
Match Centre - Preview - Season So Far A v B
Match Centre - Preview - Tournament Record (Team A)
Match Centre - Preview - Tournament Record (Team B)
Sale Sharks wing Chris Ashton will be looking to add to his record-breaking European rugby try haul when his side host Bordeaux-Begles on Saturday at the AJ Bell Stadium.
- This will be just the second meeting between Sale Sharks and Bordeaux-Begles after last weekend’s Round 3 game which Sale won 50-24.
- Sale are one of just three clubs to have won their opening three games of this campaign. They have also secured a try bonus point on each occasion.
- Bordeaux are without a win now in four games, their longest run without victory in the Challenge Cup since losing nine in a row between January 2012 and October 2013.
- Sale’s Chris Ashton has scored five tries so far this season, more than any other player, with his double in Round 3 taking him past 50 in European competition – no other player has reached that milestone.
- Bordeaux-Begles’ Thierry Paiva has won five turnovers this season, more than any other player.
MATCH HIGHLIGHTS | Is it a bird🐦 , is it a plane✈️???
No… Its @ChrisAshton1 flying through defences like…
Be there tomorrow to watch him live! 🎟️ – https://t.co/RumDV5P2aF#SharksByNature pic.twitter.com/xLq6adFGn9
— Sale Sharks🦈 (@SaleSharksRugby) December 14, 2018
Match Centre - Preview - Lineups
Match Page - Summary
Match Page - Timeline
Sale Sharks suffered their first defeat in Pool 3 of the Challenge Cup as Bordeaux gained quick revenge for last week’s heavy defeat by the Sharks in France.
It was the Begles’ first win in this season’s competition as they played the awful conditions better to edge to victory in a tense second half.
The scores were locked at 7-7 at the break with centre Luke James’ excellent line running giving him the opening try on 12 minutes and fly-half Rob Du Preez converting.
But a Florian Dufour try converted by Baptiste Serin seven minutes from half-time left the outcome in the balance.
HALF TIME #SALvUBB [7-7] #ChallengeCup pic.twitter.com/YeM0srrQdt
— Sale Sharks🦈 (@SaleSharksRugby) December 15, 2018
The game-changing moment came when Sale prop Tom Bristow was given a red card for foul play early in the second period and Bordeaux took full advantage as Dufour crossed for his second try.
Serin added the conversion and a subsequent penalty to give the visitors a 10-point lead at 17-7 but Sale refused to give up.
Victoire ! L'UBB prend sa revanche chez les Sale Sharks sur le score de 14 à 17 ! #SALvUBB #ChallengeCup #Iloveubb pic.twitter.com/bzQJLjv65K
— UBB Rugby (@UBBrugby) December 15, 2018
A driving maul saw Rob Webber power over and Du Preez’s conversion cut the gap to just three but Bordeaux soaked up late pressure to hang on for a thrilling victory.
Sale visit Connacht in their next game in Pool 3 on Saturday, January 12 while Bordeaux visit Perpignan the previous evening.
Live Match Summary
MPU – Left Column – English
Share this page