Prop Andrew Porter and fly-half Johnny Sexton, key members of the Leinster Rugby squad who reached last season’s Heineken Champions Cup final, propelled Ireland to their first ever victory in New Zealand on Saturday. 

Porter’s two tries and 13 points from Sexton’s right boot guided Andy Farrell’s side to a 23-12 win in Dunedin and enabled them to level the three-match series. 

Loosehead Porter scored his first try after only three minutes, Ireland skipper Sexton converted and then made it 10-0 with a 14th minute penalty. 

New Zealand’s problems increased when replacement prop Angus Ta’avao was red-carded for an illegal tackle on Leinster centre Garry Ringrose on 31 minutes. 

However, Ireland then had Leinster lock James Ryan sin-binned and the All Blacks capitalised with a converted try just before the interval. 

The visitors regained control, though, when Porter bagged his second try on 49 minutes and Sexton again converted.

Two further penalties from the Leinster No.10 put Ireland out of reach, despite a late converted try by the host nation, and set up next weekend’s decider in Wellington. 

Later, in Brisbane, England levelled their series against Australia via a 25-17 triumph, with Saracens players, who will return to the Heineken Champions Cup next season, contributing all the visitors’ points. 

No 8 Billy Vunipola went over for England’s only try on five minutes, converted by centre Owen Farrell, who also kicked six penalties. 

Farrell landed four of those penalties as England opened up a 19-7 interval lead and added two more to foil the Wallabies’ second-half fightback. 

Earlier, a late try from Lyon scrum-half Baptiste Couilloud earned a much-changed France side a 20-15 victory over Japan in Tokyo. 

France opened the scoring on nine minutes, when Stade Toulousain wing Matthis Lebel went over for a try goaled by Union Bordeaux-Bègles scrum-half Maxime Lucu, but two tries, a conversion and a penalty put Japan 15-7 ahead at the break. 

Penalties from Lucu and his clubmate, Matthieu Jalibert, reduced the arrears for France, before Jalibert converted Couilloud’s try to complete the comeback.