La Rochelle full-back Brice Dulin kept France’s Guinness 6 Nations title challenge alive with a last-gasp try in Paris on Saturday night that also put paid to Wales’ Grand Slam hopes.

Dulin, who is set to face Gloucester Rugby in the Heineken Champions Cup last 16 at Kingsholm on April 2, crossed with nearly 82 minutes played to hand France a crucial 32-30 victory at the Stade de France.

RC Toulon lock Romain Taofifenua had given France the lead with a try five minutes into what would prove to be an exhilarating game and Bordeaux Bègles fly-half Matthieu Jalibert converted.

However, Wales hit back six minutes later as Northampton Saints fly-half Dan Biggar plunged over for a try that he goaled to level the scores.

A breathless opening 19 minutes continued as Jalibert set up Toulouse scrum-half Antoine Dupont for a second French try that he improved, only for Wales to equalise again when Biggar converted a try by Cardiff Blues flanker Josh Navidi, who went over from close range.

Biggar, who finished with a match haul of 20 points, then nudged Wales in front with a penalty on 24 minutes, but Toulouse fly-half Emile Ntamack, Jalibert’s replacement, ensured France went in at the break level at 17-17 via a 33rd minute penalty.

Biggar slotted another penalty on 45 minutes, before converting a 49th-minute try from Cardiff Blues wing Josh Adams, who scrambled over after gathering a loose ball, to push Wales 27-17 ahead.

Ntamack’s penalty on 53 minutes cut Wales’ lead, but France’s hopes of victory seemed to take a hit as first Biggar kicked a 58th-minute penalty and then Montpellier lock Paul Willemse was shown a red card after 67 minutes.

The hosts’ pressure was unrelenting, though, and after Wales had been reduced to 13 men following two yellow cards, a 76th-minute try from Toulon flanker Charles Ollivon converted by Ntamack set up the nail-biting finish and six minutes later Dulin went over in the corner to snatch a famous victory.

Earlier, Leinster Rugby’s four-time European Cup winner, Johnny Sexton, was ruthless from the tee for Ireland as he kicked 22 points in a 32-18 win over England in Dublin.

Converted first-half tries from Munster Rugby wing Keith Earls and Leinster No.8 Jack Conan had put Ireland in control at 20-6 ahead at half-time, before Sexton punished an ill-disciplined England side in the second half with four of his six penalties.

Although Connacht Rugby centre Bundee Aki was red-carded on 63 minutes, tries from Leicester Tigers scrum-half Ben Youngs and Gloucester wing Jonny May were only consolation scores.